Listen to this episode of The Food Blogger Pro Podcast using the player above or check it out on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, or Spotify.
Welcome to episode 267 of The Food Blogger Pro Podcast! This week on the podcast, we’re rewinding back to our episode about freelance food photography with Ashley McLaughlin.
Last week on the podcast, we re-shared one of our most popular episodes about writing with Gabriela Pereira from DIY MFA. To go back and listen to that episode, click here.
Freelance Food Photography…with a side of Architecture
We interviewed Ashley McLaughlin back in 2017 about her freelance food photography business, and we’re re-sharing that episode with you today.
Architecture and food…it doesn’t sound like there would be many similarities between the two, right? But there are, and Ashley’s background in architecture helped her understand experience, perspective, and design in a culinary setting.
After staring her blog, Edible Perspective, as a way to stay creative, Ashley’s love of food transformed into a love of photography. After a long learning process, she went from a complete novice with a DSLR to understanding exposure meters, shooting in manual mode, and writing a food photography series on her blog. Now she’s a full-time freelance food photographer who has photographed multiple cookbooks for bloggers.
It’s a good reminder that your blog isn’t the only money-maker in this industry; freelance food photography or writing can be a great way to build an income by doing what you love.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- How recipe creation is like architecture
- Why she launched her blog
- How she started using a DSLR
- Her tips for improving your food photography skills
- How she was able to become a full-time freelance food photographer
- Check out our recent Photography Live Q&A with Ashley! – for members only
- About the Slow Food Movement
- Michael Pollan books
- Canon 5D Mark III
- Canon 7D
- Oh She Glows Every Day
- Peas and Thank You Simple Meatless Meals the Whole Family Will Love
- Canon 35mm f/1.4L
- Bubble Level
- Ashley’s Photography Series
- Follow Edible Perspective on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter
If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions for interviews, be sure to email them to [email protected].
For the full transcript, head on over to the show notes for the original episode at foodbloggerpro.com/98