Community

Login to post to the forum. Not a member? Sign up and get your first month for $1!

Google Authorship and Getting Images to Post With Recipes

RankRank

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2013-02-02

PM

Hi all,

I recently signed up (or so I thought) for Google Authorship. I’m still learning the importance of becoming a Google-verified author, and am told it takes time. Bottom line: Can anyone out there help me with the following?

1. How do I go about getting my picture to show up next to my blog’s homepage listing in Google search results?

2. (And more importantly), how do I get my recipe pictures to show up next to my recipes in Google search results?

Google’s amazing, but continues to confuse me, so if anyone has explanations or instructions in very simple language, I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks!

-Allison

Allison Robinson
http://www.cuisineous.com/

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2013-02-01

PM

I recall Bjork discussing this somewhere. I think it was in a Pinch Of Yum income report. As far as having the recipe photo show up the way I do it is by using zip list recipe plugin which recognizes Google rich snippet. However I’ve noticed that some photos show in search and some do not. Maybe Bjork can add his 2 cents.

RankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 767

Joined 2013-01-22

PM

Hey Allison. Let’s start with the Google Authorship. I checked your site and confirmed that the necessary code isn’t there yet.

There are lots of different ways to do this. We’ll use the Wordpress SEO plugin, as I noticed that you have that installed.

1. In WordPress, click on Users > Your Profile. Paste your Google+ URL into that Google+ field. Click “Update Profile”.
2. In WordPress, click on SEO > Titles & Meta. Select the Home tab. Select your profile in the “Author highlighting” field. Click “Save Settings”.
3. In Google+, click on “Profile” and then scroll down to “Links”. Click Edit. Add your blog URL under in “Contribute to” area and click “Save”.
4. In Google+, click on the gear and then “Settings”.
5. In Google+ Settings, scroll down to “Profile” and make sure that “+1” is checked.

After doing all of this, you can test it to see if it works by going here and entering in your Blog’s URL: http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/richsnippets

It should look something like the last attached image.

Let me know how that goes.

Image Attachments

1._user_profile.png2._author_metadata.png3._google_plus.png4._settings.png5._public_+1.png6._google_authorship_example.png

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

RankRankRank

Joined 2013-02-01

PM

I’m using zipllist recipe plugin and I have noticed that some photos show up in Google search while others don’t. All my posts have the photo url in the correct place in ziplist but I was thinking that maybe it’s a size issue? Anyone else seen this?

RankRankRank

Joined 2013-02-01

PM

Also when I search for one of my recipes in Google I rank #1 in web search but don’t show up in recipes search.

Image Attachments

Screen_Shot_2013-04-16_at_8.51.20_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2013-04-16_at_8.51.28_PM.png

RankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2013-01-22

PM

Google does as Google pleases. It would just be nice if it could a bit more predictable sometimes… smile

Related side note: A new feature in Google Webmaster Tools allows you to see if Google is recognizing the recipe formatting in your post. This doesn’t guarantee that they will show a picture, just that they’re recognizing the posts as recipe posts.

It’s under Optimization > Structured Data. After that you can click on “Recipe” to get a break down of the posts that Google “sees” as recipe posts.

Image Attachments

Google_Webmaster_Structured_Data.pngStructured_Data_List.png

RankRank

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2013-02-02

PM

Hi Jad and Bjork,

Thanks so much for your great input! Bjork, your Google Authorship directions were perfect. By far, the easiest Google Authorship directions I’ve come across in the wide world of Webiness.

Jad, thanks for the tip about using the ziplist recipe plugin. I currently use Easy Recipe and absolutely love it because it’s…well…easy. But, for my next recipe post, I’ll give ziplist recipe a try and see if that works better. From what I could tell, Easy Recipe does have an option for photos to be viewed in Google Rich Snippets, but it seems to be an upcharge. If I have to pay for it, I will, but I’d prefer to get around that if possible.

I’ll keep you guys updated on the image situation. Thanks again!

-Allison

Allison Robinson
http://www.cuisineous.com/

RankRankRank

Joined 2013-02-01

PM

I used easy recipe for a while and it is a great recipe plugin. I switched to ziplist because I personally use their service and liked what it did and I think it makes it easier for people to save the recipes which keeps them coming back to your site when they are ready to make it. I personally do this all the time with other sites. I can’t tell how many of my recipes have been saved in ziplist but I do see outbound clicks daily with it.

RankRank

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2013-02-01

PM

Bjork & Jad!

Seriously have been wondering pondering and partly giving up this past month with this Google Authorship nonsense. Thank you for making it a bit clearer. I have everything filled out properly but for some reason it wasn’t pulling my posts as recipes at all!!!

A tragedy I am sure. smile Anyway now I am going to get my much techy half on this. I am sure I will have more questions but I didn’t know that it wasn’t indexing it as a recipe but only as a post.

Thanks!

Paz

Learning how the rest of the world eats healthy

http://crazyyummy.com

RankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2013-01-22

PM

Keep us in the loop Paz. I’d be interested to hear if you’re able to figure out what the issue is and what change you made to fix the problem.

As you’re going through the process be sure to use Google’s Structured Data Testing Tool to make sure everything is setup correctly. This is important because sometimes a post can be structured correctly, but Google (for whatever reason) doesn’t show your recipe image in search results.

You can click here to see a post that we’ve entered into the testing tool that confirms that Google recognizes the recipe image and Authorship markup. I’ve attached screenshots below as well.

Image Attachments

Recipe_Schema.pngGoogle_Authorship_Markup.png

RankRank

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2013-02-01

PM

Bjork - 23 April 2013 09:32 PM

Keep us in the loop Paz. I’d be interested to hear if you’re able to figure out what the issue is and what change you made to fix the problem.

As you’re going through the process be sure to use Google’s Structured Data Testing Tool to make sure everything is setup correctly. This is important because sometimes a post can be structured correctly, but Google (for whatever reason) doesn’t show your recipe image in search results.

You can click here to see a post that we’ve entered into the testing tool that confirms that Google recognizes the recipe image and Authorship markup. I’ve attached screenshots below as well.

Okay so after a couple e-mails with Easy Recipe and some work from my IT husband this is what happened.

Easy Recipe Plugin was working but for some reason after the most recent update it had stopped. So we had to re-install the plug-in and I had to redo all of my recipes. Ugh! Big long sigh…but happy we figured it out. Not sure what exactly happened but we found a solution. I am doing the same thing for the recipes but now with the updated plugin and making sure that I have a picture and at least 3 fields filled out on preparation time, cooking time, cuisine, ect.

If anyone is having the same problem hope this helps.

Paz

Learning how the rest of the world eats healthy

http://crazyyummy.com

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2013-01-31

PM

I use EasyRecipe and like it very much. Sometimes images show with my recipes in Google Search and sometimes they don’t, it changes every couple of weeks. Google is not consistent on this for me either but what can you do!

Rank

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2013-08-14

PM

I’m having issues with Google displaying my plus face instead of the recipe picture too :( It seems to be overriding Easy Recipes picture with my Google profile. I use easy recipe pro, did all their tests and verified with Google that my structured data meets their requirements. It used to show my food picture.

So Google recognizes the food pictures but is ignoring them for my profile face instead.

I compared my structured data test to Linday’s Mexican Crockpot and looks similar but the difference is that publisher markup is verified for my page whereas Lindsay’s is not.

My test vs. Lindsay

Is that difference conflicting with something?

I also have Yoast’s SEO, but I’m missing an author metadata area. I have my google+ link pasted in my wordpress user profile.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Image Attachments

authormetagone.jpgrecipesnippet1.jpg

Sharon
Paleo Fondue

RankRank

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2013-01-31

PM

I’m going to chime in with the same issue as skaypreg.

I’m still on blogger and doing quit well so no plug-in issues here but I do a little hand coding and use some other tools. My Google authorship is working and snippits work. Plus like skaypreg, my publisher is working also.

Before joining Google plus, I usually had recipe pictures appearing. Since joining, the pictures disappeared and once I got authorship working, my personal picture appears but no recipe pictures. I would much prefer recipe pictures to my ugly face.

I know a picture is better than no picture. I did disable access to the plus profile in Google+ for a while. My picture disappeared and no recipe picture appeared. Snippet tool checks out correctly with the picture of the food, but they never appear in the search.

Any ideas appreciated.

Dan

Dan Mikesell AKA DrDan
http://www.101cookingfortwo.com

RankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2013-01-22

PM

Hey Dan and Sharon!

Google: The greatest tool and the greatest mystery.

Isn’t this stuff so frustrating sometimes? If I were to tell you I knew some secret or magic way to get images to show up I’d be lying. My strategy has been to provide as much relevant meta data as possible and hope that Google takes that and translates it into the best result for users. The hard thing with meta data (or any SEO) is that you can only do what Google tells you and then wait to see what happens. After that Google will do what they want with the search results, never guaranteeing that it will show up one way or the other. We have some posts on Pinch of Yum that show images in search results and others that don’t, even though the markup is exactly the same on each of the posts.

Sharon - I’ve attached a screenshot that shows the new location of the Google+ stuff in Yoast SEO. When the plugin was updated they took out our previously entered info, so that’s why Lindsay’s Google+ wasn’t verified. I’m glad you pointed that out. Thanks!

Dan - What’s your blog URL? I’d love to check it out. smile

Image Attachments

Authorship_New_Location.png

RankRank

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2013-01-31

PM

Thanks for the reply.

I’m at http://www.101cookingfortwo.com (sorry for not filling out the profile… I just fixed that)

I agree with your “give them all you can” approach to Google. Most of my traffic has always come from Google but it is somewhat a love/hate relationship at times. I really don’t think there is an answer to getting Google to use the recipe picture but I refuse to stop trying.

At this point, I’m thinking Google believes that the author picture is doing us a favor vs. the recipe picture. There has been a noticeable dip in some posts search ranking but most are holding steady.

I mainly use http://www.therecipewiz.com/ which is an online snippet generator and then do a little hand coding to add Ziplist, a print button and to clean up the look to my liking. I have no errors in the Structured Data Testing Tool which generates a preview with the picture of the recipe but I haven’t seen it in a search for months.

I’m considering coding some in Schema instead of hrecipe (which is the older format) but Google says it doesn’t matter. Plus, it would take a few hours to come up the the technique.

Again, any ideas appreciated…

Dan.

Dan Mikesell AKA DrDan
http://www.101cookingfortwo.com